General FAQs

What is Community Housing?

Minda Housing is a Community Housing Organisation which provides appropriate and purpose-designed houses for people with disability. All Community Housing Organisations are regulated under the National Regulatory System for Community Housing Organisations (NRSCH).

The Office of the Housing Regulator is the name of the area in the South Australian Government which regulates Community Housing Organisations in South Australia.

Minda Housing must comply with the NRSCH and the policies and related legal obligations. These include, how much rent you pay, what happens if you are unhappy with a service you have received, who can live in Minda Housing properties and what rights and responsibilities you and Minda Housing have.

Am I eligible for community housing?

Eligibility for Community Housing is set out by Housing SA, Renewal SA. Basically, there are two stages to eligibility for community housing and they are:

  1. Meet State Government Eligibility Criteria for community housing; and
  2. Meet specific Community Housing Provider Eligibility Criteria for the provider(s) for which interest is registered.

State Government Eligibility Criteria consists of two components that a registrant must meet. There is a Base Eligibility Criteria and an Additional Eligibility Criteria. For further information on the State Government Eligibility Criteria please refer to the “Eligibility” section at this website.

How do I contact Minda Housing about my tenancy?

You can contact us via the Tenant Contact form or Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm

Address: 12 – 16 King George Ave, North Brighton SA 5048

Phone: 1800 164 632

What happens when I move in?

You, your Supported Independent Living Manager and the Minda Housing Property Manager will each separately complete the Property Inspection Form, which has been provided to you.

This form records the condition of the property at the commencement of your lease and will be used to cross-reference at the expiration of your lease. If you are moving to a new area, we recommend you contact your local Council regarding kerb and rubbish collection and activities in your local community.

Emergency Situations

In the case of an electricity/gas emergency, call your service provider’s emergency services number.

Once the danger has passed, please notify Minda Housing on 1800 164 632 of the emergency. Please call Minda Housing if the emergency happens during business hours. Minda Housing will manage the emergency and will determine who is responsible for payment of any damage.

You may decide to keep a list of emergency contacts, including family and friends.

Do I need to notify Minda Housing if I am away from home?

If you will be away from home for more than two weeks, please advise Minda Housing so we know you are safe and sound and that your property has not been abandoned.

Please lock your windows and doors and ask a family member, friend or neighbour to check on the property for you regularly.

Please ask someone to collect your mail or ask the post office to hold it for you while you are away.

Am I able to have pets in my home?

As the tenant, you must request permission from Minda Housing before you get a new pet. Please inform Minda Housing if you have a pet at the time of transferring, or moving into a Minda Housing property.

If the size and type of pet does not conflict with Council regulations, and the pet is not likely to cause significant damage to the property, you will be permitted to have the pet.

Who organises pest control?

If you wish to have the home you are tenanting treated, you can arrange to have a qualified pest control company to treat the home, at your cost.

What if there are pests and vermin on/in the property?

It is your responsibility to keep the home free of pests and other insects/animals that may be damaging to your health.

Please ask the Supported Independent Living Service provider Manager to contact your local Council if you find a European Wasp nest on the property you rent.

Do I need contents insurance?

We strongly recommend you organise contents insurance cover for items such as window breakage, loss of possessions and valuables.


Do I need to pay a bond and rent in advance?

You may be required to pay a bond, which will be the total of four weeks' rent. You can apply for Bond and Rent in Advance assistance through Housing SA.

When do I pay?

You will pay rent two weeks in advance, commencing from the day you move in.

How to pay rent

Centrepay Rent Deduction

If you are on a Centrelink benefit, rent can be debited fortnightly from your account straight to Minda, via the Centrepay Rent Reduction scheme.

As our preferred method of payment is via CentrePay. Please complete and return the ‘applying for Centrepay’ form for further information, or ask the Minda Housing Manager to assist you to apply for the Centrepay Rent Deduction Scheme.


Direct Debit

An alternate method of payment is by direct debit of Tenant(s) rent into the Minda account:

Bank SA
Account Name: Minda Operating AC
BSB: 105-015
Account Number: 117930140

Details: Tenant(s) need to include surname in the description. Please check with your bank about how much you will be charged per transaction.

What is the Rent Policy?

As a housing provider, Minda Housing offers accommodation with rent setting being dependent on the needs of tenants and the type of housing the tenants are subsequently offered.

In determining rent, Minda will calculate the rent applicable to you as the tenant, based on eligibility criteria for your type of tenancy.

Your tenancy agreement will provide details of the rent that has been calculated and will be discussed with you by the Minda Housing Manager.

The Rent Policy applicable to your accommodation is available on request.

What if my rent falls in to arrears?

If rent falls into arrears at any time, the Minda Housing Property Manager will work with the tenant(s) to set a repayment plan to catch up the money owing.

If the tenant(s) do not contact Minda Housing regarding rent arrears, then the tenancy may be at risk. If the arrears period is more than fourteen (14) days and contact has not been made with the Minda Housing Property Manager, a Notice of Termination may be issued.

How often is the rent reviewed?

Rent reviews occur annually on the 1 of October of each year OR twice yearly at the end of March and September, depending on the type of tenancy.

What happens if I lose my keys?

It is important that you have access to a spare key, in a safe place, or you can leave a spare key with the Supported Independent Living Services Manager. If you lose your keys, it is your responsibility as the tenant to replace them.

If you lock your tenant's keys inside the house, you must pay the cost of a locksmith to come out – you can find a locksmith of your choice in the Yellow Pages.

If within business hours, Minda Housing may be able to come and unlock tenant's house; but a fee may be payable.

Can I run a business from home?

If you would like to operate a business from your tenancy home, you must seek written approval from Minda Housing.

Who is responsible for connecting the telephone and internet?

You as the tenant(s) are responsible for connecting your telephone and internet. We suggest you find a service provider who meets your needs and budget. There is a once off connection fee and a monthly rental fee for your tenant telephone.

Will my details be kept confidential?

Minda will keep tenant's details confidential at all times. If you have signed an ‘authority to disclose’ form, this gives Minda Housing permission to provide your details to people/agencies which you have chosen.

You will also have the option to sign an ‘authority to exchange information’ form which specifies if there is any particular information you do not want Minda Housing to know, or you do not want Minda Housing to disclose to other people/agencies.

When will Minda Housing conduct inspections?

Upon the request of Minda Housing, you as the tenant must provide access for maintenance and inspections of your home. You will receive an inspection notice giving you at least 7 days and not more than 14 days notice.

Please ensure you are home for the agreed date and time of Tenant(s) inspection, otherwise the Minda Housing Property Manager will have to reschedule. If you are continually not home for Tenant(s) appointments and the Minda Housing Manager is unable to inspect the property, then Minda will go to the SACAT.

Am I able to have visitors?

A visitor is defined as a person who has their own residential address (separate from the address that they are currently visiting), and who intends to return to reside in that property.

If there is a visitor in tenant's home longer than 12 weeks consecutively, they will be considered residents of the tenant's home (except under special circumstances) and you must declare their income. You must also inform Minda Housing that these people are residing with you, in case there are over-occupancy issues.

Failure to inform Minda Housing that someone is residing for more than 6 weeks may result in the termination of the tenant's tenancy.

Who is responsible for the smoke alarms?

The Minda Housing Property Manager will arrange for smoke alarms to be checked and ensure they are working before you move in.

If, during your tenancy, the smoke alarm is not working properly (and you have checked that it is not a battery issue), do not try and fix it please – contact the Minda Housing Property Manager or the Maintenance Team.

Who is responsible for the maintenance of the garden?

It is the tenant's responsibility to ensure the garden is kept neat and tidy.

Minda Housing will assist you with:

  • Treatment of extensive poisonous weeds and shrubs
  • Removal of trees or shrubs which are a danger to you, the home or the sewerage system.
Who will organise maintenance of the property?

Please call the Minda Housing Maintenance Team on 08 8422 6324 for maintenance assistance. Maintenance requests will be attended to in order of priority.

Please find listed below items which are considered emergency maintenance and will be attended to out of hours:

  • Building not safe/secure. If this is due to forced entry, report the incident to the Police and do not tidy up until the Police have completed their inspection and provided you with a Police Report Number
  • No power to lights and socket outlets
  • Electrical sparking or shorting – please turn power off at the mains board
  • Fully blocked sewerage, such as overflowing toilet and/or drains
  • Gas leak – if there is a smell of gas, turn off the supply at the meter or cylinder. Open all doors and windows and DO NOT light a cigarette or fire. Once this is done, call your gas provider’s emergency services number
  • Major structural damage
  • Fire – evacuate immediately and call 000
  • Flooding
  • Live, bare electrical wires that may cause shock
  • Burst pipe – turn water off at the mains, contact the maintenance team immediately. If the burst pipe is outside the boundary of the property e.g. on the footpath contact the local Council
  • No hot water
  • Storm damage.
What are my responsibilities regarding looking after the property?

Both the tenant(s) and Minda Housing are responsible for keeping the tenant's property in good condition. Minda Housing will supply a maintenance service during office hours, and out of office hours for emergencies only.

We ask you help to keep the property in good condition by completing the following:

  • Contact the Minda Housing Maintenance Team if there are issues, such as roof and gutter leaks, dripping taps etc.
  • Keep gardens neat and tidy and remove rubbish
  • Keep walls, floors, kitchen, laundry and bathroom surfaces clean and safe
  • Do not flush sanitary items, fat, or oil down drains or toilets
  • Check the hot water unit for leaks, (overflow pipes can drop from time to time)
  • Report gas/water leaks and electrical faults as soon as you notice them.
Who is responsible for connecting the water?

Tenant's water will already be connected. If you experience any issues, please contact the Minda Housing Property Manager. You must pay for your water usage, but you may be eligible for a discount. If there are reasons why you need to use a lot of water (e.g. medical reasons) you may be entitled to further discount.

Are there any water restrictions?

Water restrictions can apply to all SA Water customers supplied with water from the River Murray. You will need to check with SA Water on 1300 650 950 for current water restrictions and for any rebates you may be entitled to.

Who is responsible for connecting the electricity and gas?

It is the tenant's responsibility to have the electricity and gas connected in the tenant's name. If you need assistance, please ask the Minda Housing Property Manager.

Some suppliers may charge a deposit fee, make sure you ask about this before you sign up with the provider.

There is an establishment/connection fee with most utilities, which you as the tennant(s) will need to pay; it will generally be added to your first bill. If you are on a concession, you may not have to pay for it or it may be reduced; please refer to the Applications for Concessions form.

What if I damage the property?

Please notify the Minda Housing Maintenance Team on 08 8422 6324 as soon as any damage occurs. You are responsible for the cost of repairing any damage (other than fair wear and tear) caused by yourself, tenant's household members or tenant's guests.

You may carry out the repairs as the tenant, find your own contractor or talk with the Minda Housing Property Manager who will connect you to a known and trusted repairer. If you carry out any non-trade repairs, they must meet a required standard. If you are not sure of the standard required for any particular repair, please ask the Minda Housing Property Manager. You are responsible for your own safety if you, as the tenant, choose to work on the property. Any repairs not completed to the required standard will have to be re-done and you will bear the cost.

Any trade repairs (structural, electrical, plumbing or gas fitting and so on) need to be by a licensed tradesperson. If you are not satisfied with the contractors’ quality of work or their behaviour whilst in Tenant(s) home, you are encouraged to report this to the Minda Housing Property Manager.

What do I need to consider when moving out?

You must give Minda at least 14 days notice before you move out, unless otherwise agreed, by completing a Termination of Tenancy Form.

Minda will be responsible for repairing any fair wear and tear (damage to the property which has resulted from age and appropriate use of the property). The property is to be left clean and tidy, otherwise you will be charged for cleaning and rubbish removal.

You will be charged for any repairs which are not considered fair wear and tear.

Rent will be charged up to and including the last day of your tenancy, and up until you have handed back the keys. You must arrange a date to hand back the keys. If you vacate and do not return the keys, a possession order on the property will be sought and you will be charged for any lock replacement costs and rent, up to receipt of the possession order.

As the tennant(s) you will need to arrange a date and time for a final inspection. You should attend the final inspection, so you can discuss the condition of the property with Minda Housing Property Manager and discuss any issues.


What do I do if I have feedback – Compliments and Complaints?

Minda is committed to ensuring all tenants and applicants for tenancy have fair and equitable access to its services. We welcome information and feedback, as it enables our quality of services to be improved.

If a tenant or applicant is not happy with our service, standards, practices or policies, then they have the right to make a complaint about any part of the service they receive.

We hope that most complaints can be resolved by discussing it with our staff member. However sometimes this may not be successful or the tenant or applicant may not consider it appropriate to do so.

How can I lodge a complaint?

Minda will respond to all complaints in a confidential, effective, and timely manner. To protect the rights and privacy of tenants and staff, we may not be able to tell the tenant(s) the result of the investigation if it involves others.

Complaints can be lodged online, in person, over the phone or by email.

Tenants and applicants are encouraged to use the formal feedback process to express any comments, compliments or complaints.

It is important as much information as possible about the complaint is provided. Anonymous complaints are only investigated in special circumstances.

The Feedback (Complaints Form) can be lodged to our Complaints Officer online here and will be provided to the Minda Housing Manager to provide a response. Alternatively, complaints may be lodged by tenants through the Supported Independent Living Manager in person, online or over the phone.

We will send the tenant or applicant making the complaint a letter to let them know we received the complaint and that we will start investigating it. We may need to contact the tenant or applicant if we need more information.

All complaints will be reviewed independently and all information available at the time of complaint will be considered.

Following the investigation, a formal response will be forwarded to the tenant or applicant in writing (generally within 15 working days of receipt of the complaint) with the exception of complaints regarding privacy issues, where a response will be forwarded within 60 days informing the tenant(s) or applicant of the outcome and explaining the reason(s) for any decision.

Additional information is available on the NRSCH website.

What will Minda Housing do when they receive a complaint?

Minda Housing does not tolerate unacceptable behaviour and will respond within established policies and procedures and, the provisions of the Residential Tenancies Act. However, when an antisocial behaviour complaint is received, Minda Housing will investigate the allegation when it has been supported by one or more of the following; Police Event Number/s, Incident Diary and a Statutory Declaration.

All complaints are treated confidentially. Tenant(s) will be advised of the investigation but the complainant details will not be provided to them.

If the alleged behaviour is found to be in breach of the Residential Tenancy Agreement, the following steps can be taken:

  • Surveying of neighbours to determine the impact of the reported behaviour on surrounding residents
  • Requesting records of police attendances related to the reported incidents
  • Monitoring the tenancy
  • Referring tenant(s) to external support agencies for advice and assistance
  • Working with tenant(s) and external agencies to identify strategies to manage the tenancy
  • Applying to the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT)
  • Consumer and Business services (CBS) have a set process for dealing with alleged breaches of the Residential Tenancies Act 1995 (“the Act”). It is important for all parties to a tenancy agreement in South Australia to be aware of their rights and obligations to ensure they comply with the requirements of the Act.

Please note, Minda Housing will only seek to terminate a tenancy as a last resort.

What if my complaint involves illegal activity?

Minda Housing is here to help you, but it will not carry out a criminal investigation. Suspected illegal activity should be reported to the police for assistance.

To log an incident report with the Police, call 131 444 and let Minda Housing know the ‘Report Number’.

In an emergency situation you should call “000”

If you feel you are being intimidated and that this will continue to happen, you may also be able to apply for an Intervention Order through the police. For further information, relating to the application of an Intervention, please contact your Local Police Station.

Should I record antisocial behaviour?

People affected by antisocial behaviour are requested to keep a record of incidents including details such as:

  • The date and time of the incident
  • The nature of the incident
  • How long it lasted
  • If police attended
  • Police event number(s)
  • How it impacted on tenant(s) peace and privacy
  • How it made you feel – scared, intimidated etc.
Why has a Minda Housing tenant not been evicted for antisocial behaviour?

All reported incidents are investigated, however we can only take action where incidents of antisocial behaviour can be substantiated and where the behaviour is a breach of the Residential Tenancy Act 1995.

In some cases, a complaint may not be able to be substantiated. We must also take into account other issues affecting the tenant(s) and the tenancy. In these cases, we may take a range of other actions to assist the tenant(s) to change their behaviour and maintain their tenancy including referral to a support worker or agency, closely monitoring the tenancy or investigate the option of a transfer where appropriate.

What is antisocial behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour is when a person’s behaviour affects another person’s peace, comfort or privacy.

If you feel a person living in, or visiting a Minda Housing property is interfering with a tenant's peace or privacy, there are a number of things you should do, including:

  • Contact police or relevant authority
  • Keep an incident diary with dates, times and details of the incidents
  • Contact Minda Housing and provide them with copies of the tenant's incident diary and police event numbers.

Please remember that Minda Housing is not always the most appropriate place to call if you are having problems with neighbours.
When a neighbour dispute is not resolved through discussion or mediation, Minda Housing will ask the tenant(s) and/or the neighbour to put their complaint in writing for further consideration and possible investigation. All complaints of nuisance and annoyance made against Minda Housing tenants must be in writing.

Once the written complaint is received, Minda Housing will investigate as soon as possible after the complaint is lodged.

Neighbour disputes involving Minda Housing tenants
When a complaint is received by a neighbour about behaviours of a Minda Housing tenant(s) that are ongoing, a serious nuisance and annoyance, or that interfere with the peace, comfort or privacy of their neighbour, the tenant may be breaching their tenancy agreement with Minda Housing.